20 Quick Tips for Improving Your Email Programs
A few months ago I participated in a webinar and after it was over they sent the document attached to this post. I wanted to share a few insights from the document with you.
- List cleaning does not just mean taking bounced email addresses from the database. “By not sending to customers who haven’t opened or clicked in the past year, senders can lower ISP complaints and gain higher reputation scores – and that leads to better deliverability.”
- Keep your “from” name consistent and match it to the brand your customer recognizes. For a company with multiple brands, customize the from name to the brand your customer is doing business with.
- It is okay to reuse subject lines in a specific program.
- Use action words in the subject line and let the receiving person know what the offer is.
- Content driven subject lines are very effective.
- Insert marketing materials into transactional emails – test the placement of this material.
- Improve your content with segmentation and ask your audience about their preferences.
- The least important metric is opens and clicks over time…the report will always look the same…with a downward pointing tail.