Email Rendering and Design Trends
In November I sat through a webinar half listening as I dutifully continued working on other items of importance…or so I thought. The webinar was called Email Rendering and Design Trends and the slides are attached with some notes.
Here are a few things as I go back and look at the slides I seem to find important.
- Personalize messages to drive engagement – I see this more and more in the B2C world companies are adjusting messages to user preferences.
- Clean up the design of your emails – I often get emails from companies that are all graphics. On my mobile I do not allow for image downloads so the email is blank…why would you want your email to appear this way?
- Right-time Email Programs – when someone makes a purchase you need to do a follow-up email with a confirmation and another add-on offer.
- Ensure you are testing on webmail servers as well as desktop and mobile.
- Design for the preview pane – which is often only 320px high.
- Pre-headers are a must – does yours say something like “To view this email as a webpage click here”?
- It should have some intrinsic value to the message of the mailing like – “Meet your best prospects from Bayer, Motorola, Airbus at the world’s LARGEST advanced manufacturing event. View this email in a browser or on a mobile device.”
- Sometimes people only see your pre-header.
- Need most important content “above the fold” in your email – about 420px.
- Mobile design tips
- 480-600px wide
- Fonts minimum of 14px, headlines 22px
- Subject: 15 characters
- Video does not work in many email clients ye so it is best to know your audience and only include IF they can view it.
Thank you for taking the time to re3ad this, I hope you enjoy the slides.