Summer Solstice: Looking back and looking forward
For the 2014 Summer Solstice I went on a hike in Malibu at Solstice Canyon; Mark was with me as well as a group of eight people I had mostly never met. The one person I had met is Sam. Over the last few months, I have been thinking about hiring a trainer to get me back on the fitness track and to teach me how to accomplish my goals. More on the hike in just a bit but first let me explain this blog post. Since I have committed to getting into shape, I have decided that part of that will be a fitness post. I have not decided how often I am going to write this post but it will be at least once per month.
Two days before the hike, I went in to meet Sam Page for my initial consultation; I was a bit nervous meeting a trainer as the only one I had ever used was a trainer from the gym. I felt the gym trainer did not get me and was only interested in getting a pay check. So after three sessions, I opted out of more. When I went into meet Sam, I was immediately at ease as he was laid back but seemed like he could be intense. Sam was interested in what I wanted to get out of training and what my goals were. We talked for a bit and then went into the gym to do the initial fitness assessment. Again, I was impressed as Sam was encouraging and pushed me when he felt I needed a little nudge. After the assessment, Sam explained that he sometimes led groups on hikes and invited me to go with him and the group on the hike the following Saturday. After a few texts, I agreed and Mark would also attend the hike with me.
Solstice Canyon is located in Malibu, CA about an hour from where I live. The hike was sent to start at 8:00 a.m. and last until 11:00 a.m. That Friday, Mark and I had to run out to the local store to get a few items: sports drinks, protein bars, and dried fruit. Then we had to retire a bit earlier than normal so we could get up at 6:00 to get ready to go. Saturday morning arrived and we got up, filled our CamelBaks with water, packed our provisions, and ate breakfast. We arrived a bit early, I guess I was eager to hike; after all it had been two year since my last hike. Around 8:00, Sam showed up and gather the waiting troops and we set off up the side of the mountain.
The pace was brisk and just fast enough that I thought WOW we are gonna be up this mountain in no time. Many switchbacks later, I had to stop and catch my breath as we had lost the group. I looked up and Sam was coming back to check on us to make sure we were okay. Sam told us that during the Solstice hikes he liked to stop every now and then to give people time to reflect and think about things. The first task was to think about the first six months of the year and then there would be a task to think about the second half of the year. Then Sam left us and went back to the group as I stopped to catch my breath. After a few minutes, Mark and I started our trek up that mountain. A few switchbacks later, I needed to stop again and get a drink of water. While I was standing there, more than half-way up that mountain I got a little dizzy. Having had heat stroke before, I knew I was through even though this was not a heat stroke. I had to stop the hike and go back down the mountain to return home. I sent a text to Sam to let him know what happened and that all was good. Now many people would be bummed out about not making it up that mountain but I just took it as a challenge and reinforcement as to why I need to get back on the fitness train. I will complete that hike.
The First Six Months
You may be asking yourself, did I think about the first half of the year. Yes, I did! This year has been amazing so far.
- I got to go visit my Dad and Sister when I had to attend a trade show in North Carolina. It has been hard not being able to visit as much as we did when living in Illinois, then we could just hop in the car and drive thirteen hours and visit the family.
- Mark and I got married. We had a small ceremony at our friend’s house up in Marin County. Our wedding was held on our 16th anniversary with family and friends in attendance.
- Mark and I went on our Honeymoon/Vacation for eighteen days in Europe. We had planned to do this for our tenth anniversary but sadly that did not work out because of the downturn in the economy. Our trip included stops in London, England; Sitges, Spain; Rome, Italy; and Amsterdam, Netherlands. When I have time to sift through the pictures, you can find them in my photography portfolio.
- I decided to hire Sam as my personal trainer.
The Next Six Months
The other thing I have been thinking about is the next six months. I have thought about what will be in store for me and where things will go. Some of that I will not write here as it is not the place but others I will share.
- I will meet my fitness goals.
- I will start blogging more about marketing and my personal fitness goals.
- I will go visit may Dad in September for my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary.
- I will climb Solstice Canyon and reflect on 2014 and ponder 2015.
I do not apologize that his post was longer than usual but I hope you enjoyed it; I want to leave you with something to think about. What has the first six months been like for you and what will the next six months hold?